SEO Scholars Mentoring
SEO Scholars is a free eight-year academic program that gets underserved public high school students to and through college- with a 90% college graduation rate.
The New York Mentor Application for the 2022 - 2023 school year is now open! Apply here.
- Applications will be reviewed starting in the middle of June through July.
- The deadline to apply is August 1st.
- Interviews will take place on a rolling basis from end of June through August.
- Notifications will go out at the end of August/beginning of September.
We are looking for 250 Mentors from the New York City area to support a dedicated and hardworking Scholar throughout their 11th-grade year. Our project-based mentoring model supports the development of critical life skills, encourages relationship-building, allows mentors to share their own experiences, and provides students with the tools they will need to navigate both college and their future careers.
Mentors attend 10-12 Saturday sessions (five/six per semester) for two hours each in the afternoon. Each session mentors are given a goal to complete with their mentee. Topics include: researching and applying to summer enrichment programs, beginning the college application process (crafting personal narratives, researching colleges, etc.), and building professional skills (interview training, resume-building, networking). Currently, all mentor sessions take place in downtown Brooklyn.
SEO Scholars mentor candidates should be:
- College graduates located in New York City
- Committed to attending twelve two-hour sessions with their mentee throughout the school year
- Willing to submit to a background check conducted by SEO
- Passionate about educational equity and providing opportunities to public high school students
In view of governmental vaccination mandates in areas we work, as well as the guidance of the CDC that vaccination is the most effective means to provide a safe working and teaching environment, subject to applicable law, applicants who obtain a conditional offer to mentor will be required to demonstrate that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 before volunteering with SEO.
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
My mentor has given me several helpful pieces of advice with friendships, relationships, school, and family. I find it very helpful to have someone who can guide you and give you advice as well as enjoy different activities with you.
- Daysi C. 11th Grade SEO Scholar
What participants say
“Mentors have the opportunity to join this family and become both an additional cheerleader and an unbiased ear during one of the most stressful and confusing times for students.”
- Liz, 3rd Year Mentor